Friday, August 7, 2009

I went to court today!

I had my first court appearance as an esquire (licensed attorney) this morning. It was a very easy proceeding -- a case management conference -- but I must admit I was a bit nervous beforehand since I only covered criminal matters in court as a law student. When I was interning for the DA's office back then, the first time I appeared in front of Judge S. for a criminal arraignment in the downtown courthouse, he totally drilled me with numerous questions because he thought I sounded really young by my voice...and since Judge S. has heightened aural senses (he is blind) I became concerned about sounding young on top of looking young, and so began my journey into "adult voice," i.e., trying to speak in a lower tone. Boo! Today though, I think things went really smoothly...it didn't seem like anyone could tell this was my first court proceeding as an attorney :) My mentor, Judge L. told me I should contact the court reporter in that department and try and get the transcript...maybe I'll look into it!

2 comments: